Monday, May 3, 2010

Racing

When a race begins, there is a cacophony of noises: coxswains yelling calls, the sound of blades locking into the water, the slides coming up and the boat moving along. It's very hectic, but one doesn't hear all of it when your in the boat. You are focused on pushing and staying in time with your fellow rowers.
            Rowing is a difficult sport; mentally and physically challenging. Mostly it's all mental because you have to trick your body to keep pushing through the pain. Why do we do this sport in the first place? I ask myself that question a lot, but I always find a way to get up early in the morning to go row as the sun rises. It's peaceful and fulfilling. It's the only time where I spend a solid amount of time out in nature every day. I don't think I would have that opportunity if I did not row. The people are (for the most part) a bunch of fantastic women and it's great having this connection, solidarity with friends. Rowing is an art and it's the constant strive for perfection. That's why it continues to attract me, though some days I wish I could live a normal life. Perfection, challenge, camaraderie and sense of accomplishment all come together when you row on a team.

1 comment:

  1. Anne! Just realized that I wasn't receiving your blog updates, but I am back and thoroughly enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete