Saturday, May 15, 2010

Howard's End

N.B: This post is supposed to be read in a British accent...
I didn't think I was going to like E.M. Forster's Howard's End. I don't think I was in the mood when I started, but I was captivated by the time my plane took off. Howard's End according to my back cover is "this rich, deeply moving novel, which masterfully reveals the English character...Howard's End, a house in the Hertfordshire county-side, becomes the symbol of the conflict within English society." The book was first published in 1910 and understandably rivaled his previous novels. The novel weaves a great tale about social classes and personal struggles. The book left you with the same feeling that one has after watching A Room with A View; contentment that the characters have found peace with their place in the world, the earth and each other. I intend to touch upon this subject again once I have seen the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment