Sunday, April 25, 2010

Poetry

Every day, I have a friend on facebook who posts a poem. She's an English major and I always look forward to her selection for the day. At the end of each poem she usually asks a couple of analytical questions and some comments. It's fascinating to see how a poem can be interpreted. I think it's a bit like film or music. We are so used to enjoying what we see, read or listen that we don't take the time to really ponder and reflect on what messages these mediums are transmitting to us. I can't wait to take Intro to Film next year so I can finally have the tools to analyze critically creative forms that we usually see as entertainment. Here is a poem that she posted the other day that I really like:

The Flute Player

His flute played a melody
Poetry floating in the air
Words written to the wind
Soothing minds
Stilling dreams

His music caught the sunset
Glittering in the moonlight
Notes painted in the sky
And the wonders of his music
Reaching the heart of the soul

Softly trilled his tones
Gossamer sounds of darkness
Ballads of the nightwind
An assurance
For all

No comments:

Post a Comment