Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mickey Avalon and Hello Failure

Tonight is Spring Concert here at Mount Holyoke. As I write this Mickey Avalon is blasting his vocal chords across campus(I'm one of the direct recipients of his bass) and girls (I'm sure a couple of guys too) are screaming their lungs out. Thankfully his concert ends at 10:30 pm and then I just have to endure a black-light party until 2 am. Things are hoppin' at MHC.
On another note, I went to go see  Hello Failure a new play by Kristen Kosmas. It was directed by Brooke O'Harra and I've got to say that I have so far loved her selections for performances. They're deep and thought provoking; funny and sad. Hello Failure is about a group of female friends in a support group for wives of sub-mariners.  I don't know if it's specifically O'Harra's direction that provides an intricately woven performance of individuals connected through their silence and common experience but the use of language, sound and music made for an engaging performance. It's interesting to read the New York Times review of the play just because it views the script at trying too hard to be original?

2 comments: