Monday, September 13, 2010

Sophomore Year of College

I thought I would give a little update of life as a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. It's been a busy past two weeks going through training for Residential Life, welcoming first-years, getting to know people on my floor, going to classes, deciding not to do crew this season, organizing a club and finding time for myself in this hectic world.
I've just come from a very fun tap class. This is the first time I've taken a tap class since middle school. What makes this class extra special, apart from a very entertaining and energetic instructor, is the piano player. I have live music in my tap class! How cool is that? Extra cool since I'm taking Jazz piano lessons this year and am currently contemplating joining the Jazz Big Band Ensemble as one of their pianists!

My classes for this semester are Music Theory II, Intermediate Italian through Film, Introduction to Film Studies, Astronomy, Tap I and Beginning T'ai Chi.

It's been great to be back on campus and get to know friends better and meet new people as well. As a sophomore I feel I have more perspective and I'm not floating in a bubble. I have a better sense of my surroundings, which is very gratifying and assuring.



My film class is with Robin Blaetz, who commands the room with elegance and eloquent sentences, that instill in you the motivation to strive for the best in you. She mentioned something really interesting that I had never seriously considered before: how you address your teachers. She pointed out that you should address all your teachers the same way, meaning don't call all your male professors, professor X and your female professors by their first names. I have yet to decide if I want to call every body professor or by their first name...I think I'll go by first name.

No comments:

Post a Comment