Monday, August 16, 2010

Economics of Education

I took this first year seminar last fall and now I'm trying to sell back some of my books to incoming first year students. One girl responded and sent me the book list for the class.  Not For Profit: Why Democracy Needs the Humanities by Martha C. Nussbaum and A Woman's Education by Jill Ker Conway were new additions to the class.  Not For Profit seems like an excellent choice for a Humanities major to read because as Nussbaum states "we increasingly treat education as though its primary goal were to teach students to be economically productive rather than to think critically and become knowledgeable and empathetic citizens." I'm struggling with deciding what major to choose, whether or not to continue with language or subjects that seem less heavily "intellectual" in the sense that they don't directly translate into a career path. Fortunately, I go to Mount Holyoke which is all about studying your passions and then finding employment that is tailored to your interests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment